Creating anti-symmetry using mirrors?

I’m exploring a tribal folk art called ‘banjara embroidery’ where they use mirrors as an ornamental part of the traditional stitchwork. Like kolams, the banjaras are inspired by fractal symmetries and complementary colour matching. But on the other hand, the banjaras deliberately break pattern symmetry as they embrace chaos as a part of their nomadic practice.

So as a fun thought experiment, I was wondering if it is possible to create (the perception of) anti-symmetry using mirrors? :smiley:

I went into a rabbit hole of theoretical physics (string theory and weak interactions) in my search for (anti-)mirror symmetry, which sadly didn’t help me at all :grimacing:

Does anyone want to workshop this topic with me?!

1 Like

Are you looking for software source code examples? Like symmetric-tree-tree-which-is-mirror-image-of-itself on website geeksforgeeks dot org.

Or Kaleidoscope algorithms? LLVM Tutorial: Table of Contents — LLVM 15.0.0git documentation

It is not like the tribal banjara embroidery … but I personally use Fractal with randomness to break the symmetries in the mosaics I create with the software I write. See my artworks in case it is of any help:

1 Like

Your mosaics are fascinating!! It’s great to see these examples of breaking symmetry with software :slight_smile: I’m not a gifted programmer, but lots of inspiration here with the kaleidoscope and tree mirror symmetries. Thank you! I’m going to try achieving some of these effects with real mirrors!

1 Like