Pattern creation classes

Continuing from the starter class last year, planning on running some more pay-as-you-feel classes in pattern generation.

I’d like to take you all through ancient methods of pattern creation, from the basic Roman methods into the more refined Islamic art methods - and if there’s interest some more from natural sources, origami etc.

Please let me know if there’s interest - also get in touch if you will struggle to work at the speed of others for any reason and we will go through things beforehand so you can have a headstart.

4 Likes

I’m definitely up for this and I am sure we can drum up some interest. When would you like to (re)start and is there a maximum number of participants?

1 Like

Sounds super interesting!
What medium are you using for this? Some programming language or analogue tools?

1 Like

There are digital methods to create the patterns we’ll be working on, but I try and always learn the original methods first. The algorithm in the case of these refers to the ritual of creation, a set of movements that when replicated create similar results by following the method.

The Romans used something like this -

The Mamluks (Medieval Egypt) used something like this -
compass-2

We will be using any compass you can find, and folding pieces of paper! Any paper is fine, too.

1 Like

I’m looking good to start anytime in February or March that suits.

I think it would be really good to keep a small class size so I can actually help if anyone requires it - but I also don’t mind running several classes if the demand is there.

Definitely interested.

1 Like

Sadly have not been able to participate on this forum lately, but am definitely interested to join your session again :).

2 Likes

I’m fine with daytime but maybe early week evenings UK time is better for people in Europe at least? I’m generally flexible from the 22nd February onwards and happy to pay-as-I-feel a bit more as this will likely feed into my ‘day job’.

1 Like

Thanks Alex! I think it would be really nice to do 4 - 6 two hour sessions so we can cover all methods with enough time and detail.

Rough timings would be 6pm-8pm GMT (1300-1500 EST) but this can be changed, or I can run several sessions across timezones if it will suit people in other places.

1 Like

Excellent Timo, glad you think its worth the time!